Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Why I Returned to School After Nearly 10 Years...

I am 29 years old and 1 1/2 years ago I threw up the white flag & returned to college.

For years I tried to convince myself that my work ethic & natural ability to pick up new procedures quickly would assure me a promising career.
It's not that I hadn't tried to go to college after high school!
It is just really hard to sit in a class bored to death while the professor caters to the slowest learner & I sit there with my eyes rolled in the back of my head struggling to stay focused.
Inevitably, I dropped class after class, until I could no longer call myself a student because...well...I wasn't one.

My career, did not take off as I had naively expected...SHOCKER, I know (I was young & foolish!)
So, at the start of 2009 I called up a local college & spoke to a counselor, applied for a school loan, and signed up for my first class in years.

Now, I have about a year left until I graduate. As of this moment in time, my GPA is 3.97 & the lowest grade I've received so far is an A-.
Yet, somehow...the knowledge I have gained is from the books like, "What Would Google Do?" by Jeff Jarvis. Books that I've chosen to read in my free time. NOT from the classes I have invested thousands of dollars in!!

Recently, however, I've started to look back on this 1 1/2 years and I can't tell what I have gained from this extra knowledge aside from the growing debt thanks to my government sponsored student loan.

Maybe someone with a degree can help me understand...is my school the problem, or is the higher education system in need of fixing?

Because honestly, I was hoping for more than just a piece of paper from my 4 year education! I wanted to feel like I learned something!

No comments:

Post a Comment